It is the fifth year in a row that Mr Jacobs negotiated the city’s highest-priced sale.
In that time Sydney’s benchmark high has grown dramatically from the $39 million paid in 2014 for the Point Piper mansion Villa del Mare.
In 2015, the highest sale blew out to $70 million when James and Erica Packer sold in Vaucluse.
In 2016, Point Piper’s Altona mansion sold for $61.8 million, and last year the Elaine estate next door to Fairwater sold for $71 million.
There are at least 25 Sydney suburb records confirmed this year, all of which are in prestige areas, with the oceanfront beach suburbs and trophy estates of the eastern suburbs dominating the list.
Settlement will confirm whether that list grows to 27 following the off-market sale of former Nine boss David Gyngell’s Dover Heights home, and the Longueville property held by real estate tycoon Ping Wei.
In contrast, there were at least 40 suburb records set last year from the $1.3 million Mt Druitt high to $71 million in Point Piper.
In 2016 there were more than 52 suburb highs.
This year’s second-highest sale was the Rona estate in Bellevue Hill at $58 million to property investor Richard Scheinberg, almost doubling the suburb’s previous $30.8 million high.
Retail billionaire Brett Blundy topped his own Rose Bay high of $33 million when he sold his contemporary waterfront reserve residence for an unconfirmed sale price of about $45 million.
The Mosman high was set at $25 million when Swans chairman Andrew Pridham bought the Hopetoun trophy home.
Cremorne topped its high twice, first at $18 million when the Kennard family bought a waterfront house, and again at $18.8 million for the waterfront home of landscaper Anthony Tisch and his wife, Wendy.
In Kirribilli, a garden apartment on the harbourfront set a $10,796,400 high when bought by PNG-based expat Ingrid Richardson.
The Dural high was smashed by more than $2 million when Jun Long Zhang, the husband of one of China’s richest women Zhou Qunfei, bought Moncur Estate for $10.85 million.
The northern beaches proved a bonanza for home owners with seven suburb highs, led by the $16 million sale of the Manly home of former Vocation chief Mark Hutchinson.
Narrabeen’s high now matches Mona Vale’s after Emma Lambert, daughter of philanthropist Barry Lambert, sold her beachfront home, Ohana, to Chunyan Li.
Oil and gas multimillionaire Russell Staley reset the Collaroy record twice when he bought adjoining beachfront properties for $8.25 million and $7.25 million to make a $15.5 million compound set to be bulldozed and rebuilt as a single residence.
The Sutherland Shire was another strong performer with the whole region’s high reset at $10.86 million by a house in exclusive Kangaroo Point.
Wahroonga triumphed on the Upper North Shore with a $13 million house sale, and Roseville with $7.4 million.
25 suburb records of 2018
- $100 million – Fairwater, New South Head Road, Point Piper
- $58 million – Rona, Ginahgulla Road, Bellevue Hill
- $45 million – Bayview Hill Road, Rose Bay
- $29 million – Campbell Parade, Bondi Beach
- $25 million – Hopetoun, Hopetoun Avenue, Mosman
- $18.8 million – Wonga Road, Cremorne
- $16.5 million – Braelin, Lang Road, Centennial Park
- $16 million – Ikon penthouse, Macleay Street, Potts Point
- c$16 million – Bower Street, Manly
- $15.05 million – Neerim House, Neerim Road, Castle Cove
- $14 million – Hastings Parade, North Bondi
- $13 million – Water Street, Wahroonga
- $12 million – Pavilion Street, Queenscliff
- $11.5 million – Monash Crescent, Clontarf
- $11.2 million – Northwood Road, Northwood
- $10.86 million – Kangaroo Point Road, Kangaroo Point
- $10.85 million – Moncur Estate, Carters Road, Dural
- $10,796,400 – Kirribilli Avenue, Kirribilli
- $10.25 million – Wyong Road, Duffys Forest
- $8.25 million – Beach Street, Collaroy
- $7.55 million – Ohana, Ocean Street, Narrabeen
- $7.55 million – Hillcrest Road, Mona Vale
- $7.5 million – Maroopna Road, Yowie Bay
- $7.4 million – Trafalgar Street, Roseville
- $5.9 million – Brighton Street, Freshwater
This story first appeared at Domain.